Saturday 9 February 2013

Coco Before Chanel

Today I watched the French film Coco Before Chanel. The movie that tells the incredible story of Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel and he rise to fame and fortune. This story is so moving and inspiring. Raised in an all girls school she learned to see and embroider she then began to sing in bars and backstreet cafe's. Her elegant and minimalist style gained her the attention of women and men of high social status in a time when fashion was flamboyant and extravagant. The more the merrier. The film, written from her memoirs, shows how she changed the face of fashion, the creation of the first iconic Chanel white suit and the first tweed jacket. It even tells me things about Coco Chanel that I never knew before. Like the fact that she was a hat designer to start with and then decided to design her own line of clothing that showed comfort, style and elegance. Then the label we all know and love was born. I've gained so much respect for the Chanel brand. I love how she started the brand, with just some fabric and a dream, she pattern cut by hand, she designed and made everything herself. No fashion education she taught herself everything. Stunning.

Chanel is one of the most influential and iconic labels in the world. It's amazing to think that the woman behind the label defied all convention, dared to be different and became an icon even though people told her she should never work. Chanel worked till her death on a Sunday in 1971. Wow. This movie inspires me to be the best I can be. To make my own clothes and always practise my craft. I want to buy my overlocker right now along with some fabric and make clothing. You never know, I could one day become an icon just like Coco.




No comments:

Post a Comment