Monday 25 March 2013

The Return

It's been a while since I have updated my blog but I'm back! University has been really busy as always and I'm very happy with the progress I've made on my course. I'm in my second term of Fashion with Textiles at Huddersfield and now that I've had a mini break in Centre Parcs I've rediscovered my love for fashion and I returned to uni with vengeance and focus.

First of all we have worked on a mini glove project for a national competition. The aim was to choose a brand and design a set of three gloves for the brand. Our tutor then chose the gloves that would be sent off to the competition board to be judged. I chose the queen of quirky fashion Cath Kidston for my brand and 2 out of my 3 gloves were sent off to the national board! Very pleased. The first prize being £400! 2nd is £200. There is also an award that you can win including a trophy, £500 and a fashion lunch in London! Fingers crossed I win!

My latest project that we have been given is a menswear Ted Baker project. This is my first time at doing menswear but I'm very excited as it's something that I've always wanted to try out. If this project goes well and if I enjoy designing menswear then I may choose to do menswear in my next year at university. Menswear is a growing market and new designers are always needed for fresh ideas and views on mens style. Will I be one of the new menswear designers?

Keep checking back for updates! I will be posting a dress I have designed for a previous university project called Minimised Aesthetic which was inspired by nature and butterflies. I will be making the dress this week so stay tuned for the final outcome! I will be able to use my new industrial sewing machine and my new overlocker to create it too! Very exciting.

I'm very happy that I've found my passion for fashion and design again. After having doubts about my course and whether fashion was right for me I finally realised why I love fashion and why I chose to do this in the first place. In ten years you will see Ryan Pilkington over the top of stores and stands selling stunning fashion. But will it be menswear or womenswear?








No comments:

Post a Comment